Thursday, August 21, 2008

Moonlight Memories



A dirt road . . .
acres of potato plants
white-flowered under the moon
Robert Spiess

There has been a lot of reminiscing going on around my family lately and I came across this beautiful haiku that brought to mind a personal memory of my own…

A moonlit night, a dirt road and a sense of adventure…

I had the wonderful luck in my early teens to go to Camp Pinecrest a number of times; for summer camp and also for church youth group retreats. I’m pretty sure it was on one of these retreats that a number of us from the group went on a nighttime hike. Our ultimate destination was a dilapidated old shack that was covered with kudzu, presumably haunted. I vividly remember walking down a dirt road with my friends and the moon shining so bright. At one point we came to a soybean field and it was so bright that the light was bouncing off the leaves in the field. I was immediately struck by wonder at this nighttime world that I had no idea existed. I wanted to stay and look at the field, forget the creepy house. I wanted to drink in this scene; become one with the night.

We took a pause in our journey to gaze upon the field, but soon the more adventurous, less contemplative kids in the group urged us on. I left the scene reluctantly, but carried it away with me, enriched.

A good memory. I’m glad it was awaken by the words of another.

5 comments:

CarlaCarlaCarlaCarla said...

I'm glad someone out there has a pleasant memory of that hike-in-the-dark!

I must've done it during a different summer. My recollection is getting a painful stitch in my side on the walk back. I didn't dare stop to rest though, since it was very dark out and I wouldn't chance being left behind alone. At the time, I felt certain I'd suffer permanent damage from continuing to walk in spite of my condition.

Do you remember those little plastic rings on a string in front of the camp office? The idea was to swing them at hooks on adjacent posts to land them on the hook. I suppose it's a dexterity skill comparable to paddleball, clackers, or yoyos.

CarlaCarlaCarlaCarla said...

I've discovered this game is typically called Bimini Ring Game or Ringing the Bull.

CarlaCarlaCarlaCarla said...

Learn something new every day:
The kudzu bloom pictured behind Wikipedia's kudzu link is the first indication I've ever had that kudzu even flowers.

maedeans said...

The song playing is what got my attention as well as the photo. I have no memories of camp of this nature. I mostly slept at night and had acivities in the daylight. I'll bet there were others there who have a different story to tell though. :)

Alberta and Ava said...

thank you fro sharing this magical memory