Saturday, May 30, 2009

Agnes Martin

Agnes Martin - With My Back to the World

I saw a very interesting documentary last night on the Sundance Channel. It was about the art and life of Agnes Martin, an artist I had not heard of before. She describes her work as abstract expressionist, although her art is often associated with minimalism. As the movie progressed, I became more and more fascinated by her somewhat mystical approach to her art. Abstract art is fairly difficult for me to connect with, but listening to her speak of what she was trying to express through the grids and horizontal lines that predominant her paintings I traveled to a deeper connection to what art, even my own, could express. Perhaps this is the path to "true" art.

Peace & Happiness by Agnes Martin

Her description of her work that I found most intriguing was the idea that so, so many painters were painting about painting, and she wanted her art to be about life. This is the primary reason for the abstract, minimal approach to her work. In this way there is nothing between the idea and the art. She waits... and waits.... for inspiration on how she can express whatever concept/trait she would like to express and how that can be done through the use of lines, grids, color fields. It is only when she has been visually inspired that she starts painting. Very fascinating. I think I'll look into whether the Philadelphia Art Museum has any of her work on display.

4 comments:

maedeans said...

The music I would put to this is "Blue Skies," but that's because I hum this to myself when I need to be calm and relaxed. Peace and Happiness includes these qualities also, but happiness sometimes needs to include a more lively tune.

CarlaCarlaCarlaCarla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CarlaCarlaCarlaCarla said...

I would hang this on my wall so that the "stripes" ran vertically. It would make a nice background page in a scrapbook photo album as well.

This subtle grid pattern entitled The Rose was the only Agnes Martin item I found in the museum's online collection.

I'm still trying to figure out what painting about painting means.

Dan Mascari said...

I just saw the documentary and was blown away by her visceral emotive style and outlook on art. Check out my blog for some of my work and musings on the topics of abstact art.

www.danmask.blogspot.com