Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cracking the Books





Angie's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

So what have I been doing with my summer?
READING…
I came across a great website for those who enjoy books, Goodreads. I’m participating in the Summer Reading Challenge on the site which has gotten me really reading. Here are the books I’ve read since June 1st:
  • The Color Purple by Alice Walker (4 stars) – One of my very favorite movies. So glad I’ve finally read the book.
  • The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (4 stars) – Really enjoyed the movie. The book was really good as well, but I have to admit I hoped it would be a little racier.
  • The Whiteness of Bones by Susanna Moore (2 stars) – This is by the same author as In the Cut, which I enjoyed. Didn’t like this book half as much, primarily because I found it somewhat depressing.
  • Under the Skin by Michel Faber (3 stars) – Read specifically for the Summer Reading Challenge. It started out really good, but really didn’t have a satisfying ending.
  • The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (4 stars) – I really enjoyed this book, although it was a little long for my taste.
  • The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman (4 stars) – By the author of Practical Magic, this book also has a family with magical abilities as its center. I liked every single character in this uplifting book.
  • Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy (5 stars) – Another book I read specifically to fit a category in the Summer Reading Challenge. This book remarkably captures the thought processes of childhood and sheds light on growing up with a visible disfigurement in a society that values beauty.

I’m currently re-reading Jennifer Weiner’s Good in Bed. This book has one of my all-time favorite characters, Cannie. Weiner has a new book out with this same character. I’ll be reading that as well in the next couple of months. And Weiner’s newest book is coming out next week. She scheduled to appear at the Central Library next Wednesday. I’m hoping to go and see her speak.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Hi Angie- Thanks for the comment! I love Anais.... The Reader- just saw that movie the other day, and had read the book previous to seeing the movie. I loved them both! If you want something racy - watch Henry and June if you haven't before - based on the book by Nin. It's so wonderfully GOOD.