Sunday, July 26, 2009

Reading Update



What I liked most about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was the variety of character voices presented through their letters. The result for me was that I felt closer to the group as a whole, and their struggles through difficult times, than I did to any one character. Without much connection to the characters, particularly in the beginning of the book, I could keenly imagine the emotional impact the wartime events would have made on me. I feel very lucky that I have not had to experience such challenges in my lifetime.

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner was a re-read for me, but loved it, loved it, loved it. Cannie, the protagonist of book, is one of my all-time favorite characters. I'd definitely have her as a dear friend if given the opportunity. This book is characterized as chick-lit by many, but it is far surperior to anything I would put in that genre. There's a lot of life-truth weaved into this often funny, sometimes heartbreaking tale.

Still really enjoying my summer reading. I have two more Jennifer Weiner books to read. One even continues the tale of Cannie. I would definitely recommend any of Jennifer's books as a good summer read.
Check back here for my updates and feel free to ask questions about any of the books I've read.

1 comment:

maedeans said...

So many books ~ so little time ~ and the housework never goes away